Scams & Fraud
Fraud – Although some of the older types of scams such as ‘phishing’ are still happening nowadays, fraudsters are constantly coming up with new and inventive ways to scam people. These scams sometimes cost individuals and companies thousands of Euros.
One of our sister companies was the victim of a 2 part scam attack recently.
Thankfully, the accumulated losses to ourselves was only in the region €28 due to our fraud protection measures and swift response which were acted on within minutes and allowed us to suspend services to them. We were also able to report the details to payment providers that we were suspicious of fraud and for them to stop the owners of those accounts becoming victims elsewhere. Through further communication, it was discovered that we were being paid through stolen cards. These stolen cards were also used to set up an elaborate phishing scam elsewhere. Therefore, our swift action limited the loss to ourselves, prevented further loss to the card account holders and also prevented further victims being created by closing down a phishing scam that they had created elsewhere.
The scary but honest truth is that in the time that we were able to do all of this, they most probably had another 2 scams created and running.
- 1 in 4 victims new immediately they’d made a mistake.
- 70% of potential financial fraud was prevented in the UK.
- 33% of All Business Failures or Bankruptcies are due to theft and fraud.
- The median time for fraud detection is 18 months.
Online fraud covers everything from online shopping to online banking, but one thing can help prevent both: take the time to install the built-in security measures most browsers and many banks offer. These can help protect you whether the criminals are trying to dupe you with fake pop-ups in your online banking window, sending you ‘scam alert’ messages hiding malware, or faking retailer websites to make you input your financial details.
- Never disclose security details, such as your PIN or full banking password
- Don’t assume an email, text or phone call is authentic
- Don’t be rushed – a genuine organization won’t mind waiting
- Listen to your instincts – you know if something doesn’t feel right
- Stay in control – don’t panic and make a decision you’ll regret
Do you own an business? Do you need to review your fraud prevention policies? If so, please feel free to email us your enquiry at email@example.com.